Pre-Cancerous Skin Treatments
Many Arizona residents have had years of exposure to the sun which has resulted in sun damaged, scaly areas on their skin. These scaly lesions are called Actinic Keratosis (AKs). They can be precursors to skin cancer. A visit to the doctor usually results in destroying these lesions off with liquid nitrogen (cryotherapy), shave biopsies or electrosurgery.
Now we can treat these precancerous skin lesions with a simple, quick and effective treatment called the Blue Light. This treatment is successfully used all over the world for sun damaged skin and is also covered by most medical insurances and Medicare.
- We first put the medication Levulan® on the body part we intend to treat (face, arms, chest, back).
- We keep this solution on the patient’s skin for 1-2 hrs. During this time, the medication is absorbed into the sun damaged skin cells and converted to a light sensitive substance.
- The patient then spends a few minutes in the Blue Light which activates the Levulan® Kerastick® (aminolevulinic acid HCl) in the precancerous skin cells and destroys the actinic keratosis cells.
Reasons to consider BLUE LIGHT PDT treatment:
- Treatment of skin cancer precursors even before they are visible to the eye
- Simple, Quick and with low down time
- Covered by most Insurances and Medicare
- Side cosmetic benefit in helping lines and wrinkles!!!
- Treatment by a trained health professional
- No scarring reported to date
Patients treated with Levulan PDT should avoid exposure of the photosensitized lesions to sunlight or prolonged or intense light for at least 48 hours.
Please call our office to set up an appointment with our medical providers for a full skin exam. Let us determine if this treatment is right for you.